photo BlogButton_zpsf979d556.jpg  photo AboutMeButton_zps0d48ecc3.jpg  photo FinishesButton_zps92f1f16c.jpg  photo TutorialsButton_zps33a38379.jpg  photo RTQLabel_zps71a4ad0f.jpg

13 October 2014

Round Trip Quilts - First Round!

Well, I've survived the first round of our round robin-style bee. This is turning into a really fun experience because it's really pushing me creatively - and we've only gone through one cycle!

I first received Heather of QA Creations center. Her theme is beautiful: wishes for her daughter. She included a great paper pieced sail boat and some phrases that she'd like for us to incorporate as we are able to.

Paper pieced boat
Photo from Heather's Blog.

I knew that the idea of incorporating the phrases and the paper pieced block would allow me a bit of leeway regarding adding borders. I could be asymmetric! I looked through the phrases and 'care' jumped out at me.

My initial sketch. I pretty much stayed true to it!

As I was thinking about wishes, I thought about wishing upon a star, and how whimsical wonky stars can be. I also saw that Heather mentioned the Wee Wander collection, and thought that the fireflies would make excellent centers for wonky stars to wish upon!

Round Trip Quilts
Star light, star bright...

I was feeling like I had too many 'masculine' colors in the quilt. Although my favorite (and I'm sure many other women also have this favorite) color is blue, I know that traditional quilts for girls have warmer colors. So, I wanted to try and get some bright, fun colors in. I went with some nice pinks and had them transition from the water using snail trail blocks because they reminded me of waves. I drafted them myself to get the 4" blocks, but somehow the last section's seam allowance was off and I couldn't figure any solution. It adds to the movement of the water, I hope!

Round Trip Quilts
Snail trails, 4" square. Fun, and tricky, to make. 

I added in some purple beneath the snail trail waves, and some low volumes to fill out the top section with the 'care' message, and voila, my work was done. 

Round Trip Quilts
All together now!

Hopefully the quilt is moving in the right direction. So far my favorite addition is the golden star in the bottom right (that's right, metallic gold! Every little girl's dream come true!) I can't wait to see what Jennifer does with it, and I'm looking forward to seeing what I get next. I like the challenge of this style bee, and I like that we've given ourselves 6 weeks for each round!

If you want to see what the others are up to check out my RTQ page for updated links to everyone's progress!


9 comments:

  1. What a fantastic addition, Liz! The waves are great, and I love the thought that you put into this for Heather and her daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bee like this would really push my creativity and I love to see what everyone is doing. Your additions look so good with the original block and are so thoughtful. Have fun with your Bee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you've done with this! Those stars are so fun with the firefly centers and your snail trail blocks are so pretty. I can't wait to get a turn with it after Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those snail trails look awesome under the water. Totally adds to the water vibe :) Looks great so far! Such a fun thing to do. One days want to do a traveling one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh those 'make a wish' stars are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautiful! I love your addition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh I love those snail trails for the waves! They work perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm drooling! it's amazing! i know her and her daughter will both love it! you have such an eye for design! can't wait to see what you do with my quilt ;P

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so much more beautiful in person! I didn't even notice the seam allowance you mentioned in the waves. I can't wait to work on it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I usually respond via email, if it's a good question I may respond here so everyone can benefit!