photo BlogButton_zpsf979d556.jpg  photo AboutMeButton_zps0d48ecc3.jpg  photo FinishesButton_zps92f1f16c.jpg  photo TutorialsButton_zps33a38379.jpg  photo RTQLabel_zps71a4ad0f.jpg

05 May 2014

Pop Culture Quilting

It's time for my Pack Patch Mini QAL update! This week the themes were inspired by classic movies we enjoy and favorite tv shows.

The instructions on the classic movie were to use only solids. My problem is that I'm not really a 'classic movie' type of gal. I'm contemporary all the way. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized some of my favorites, even today, are Disney Classics. The first movie I ever saw in a theater was The Little Mermaid. Beauty and The Beast has been one of my favorite movies since I can remember. So, I googled the Disney logo. A darker blue background with a lighter blue Cinderella Castle. I checked my scraps and picked the closest match. Here's Disney:

Classic Movies
Classic Movies - Disney Castle (you can see it too, right?)

The second block was supposed to be inspired by your favorite tv show and use complementary colors. Complementary colors? Google! Complementary colors are opposites on the color wheel. My favorite shows tend to be dramas. Right now I'm a big fan of Scandal, Grey's Anatomy (yes, I still watch it), and Law and Order: Special Victims Unit, among others. There's a certain amount of violence/suspense in each episode so I immediately thought RED. But it's complement is green...and I don't want it coming off as too Christmas-y! I moved the color selection around the color wheel slightly to avoid this problem. I found an orange/red chevron that I had recently used and some old scraps of a green/blue with skulls on it. The orange/red represents the drama and evidence trail (or blood) on the shows, and the green/blue skull fabric reinforces the mortality theme. Cheerful, huh? Who said quilting was all about kittens and flowers? 


Untitled
Favorite Shows - Complementary Colors

I'm still enjoying the Patch Pack Mini QAL thoroughly. I like that the blocks prompts are getting more abstract, and the inherent challenge in that. And I can't wait to put them all together eventually and see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I usually respond via email, if it's a good question I may respond here so everyone can benefit!